Wednesday 8 December 2010

SIS Order


The GB Rowing Team uses Science in Sport and Adidas Eyewear as official suppliers to the team for supplements and eye-wear.  Today I put in my order for a two-ish month supply of SIS products.  SIS produces a range of products; from energy drink powders to omega three fish oils.  For this order I have a budget of £155.

My order consists of Creatine, Beta-Alanine, Omega 3 fish oils, Go Bars (apple - the others are disgusting) and I am going to try the Burner gels.

All my sporting life I have resisted and actively stepped away from taking any supplements/ remedies/ powdered substances.  There have been three main reasons for this;

1) I have total responsibility for any product/drug/substance in my body.  If I am drug's tested and a banned substance is found in my system I can no longer compete for GB Rowing in any shape or form.  Unlike UK Athletics where Dwain Chambers still does the circuit and competes internationally, GB Rowing uses the same selection eligibility rules as the British Olympic Association.  It is irrelevant how the substance got there, whether I knew about it or was a mistake, if it is there I am classified as a cheat.  I generally don't take products such as lemsip etc and prefer to up fruit and veg uptake if feeling ill.  When I do need to take anything, UKAD can offer advice on the legality of the product and I will only take it if told to do so by a GB Rowing or EIS doctor.  If in doubt, don't.

2) I am unable to stomach powdered electrolyte/recovery drinks.  I basically start gagging after a couple of mouthfuls of most products.  I am yet to find one that doesn't taste "proper wrank".  If I desperately need electrolytes I either buy a ready made product (Lucozade/Powerade) or [and more far frequently] I just make my own by adding a couple of pinches of salt to some squash.  For recover drinks, you can't beat a glass of milk.

3) Philosophically I don't think something is right or wrong because it is or is not on the banned list.  Every year there are alterations to what is on the list e.g. caffeine was banned but is now complete off.  I feel uneasy about taking products and would prefer to exhaust all traditional natural methods before taking a manufactured product.

Of the products that I have chosen, creatine and beta-alanine are the ones I am most uneasy about.  Both have proven scientific benefits, but neither can be described as a truly natural product.  To take creatine I had to undergo a blood test to assess my renal function, this is due to a slight risk of kidney damage when taking the product.  Weight gain/loss is a significant issue for me; over the last 18 months I have actually lost and estimated 6-7 kgs of lean mass, to challenge the top guys I need to put this weight back on and more.  The sheer volume of Jurgen's programme means huge numbers of calories must be eaten each day and they must be of the right sort and at the right time for maximum benefit.  I guess I just have to wait and see!

1 comment:

  1. Mahdi Omidi Jafari
    Physical Education Expert & Sport Methodologist
    Alternative and Complementary Therapists
    International Family Sport Multi Group
    Founder & Director
    Web: www.IFSMG.com

    Dear Friends, Please visit and Like Our Page. Thanks
    www.facebook.com/International.Family.Sport.Group
    -----------------------------
    www.twitter.com/FamilySportive
    -----------------------------

    ReplyDelete