Sunday 10 April 2011

Varese Camp - half day


It's sizzling hot out here - mid to low 30's - giving me a good vitamin B boost and a chance to top up my farmers tan.  The weather has also helped me kick cold/throaty sort of stuff that has been bugging me for the past month or so.  It's not all positives though, the heat drains you pretty easily and I need to be well on top of my hydration - both during the day and at night.

I'm currently training in a pair with Tom Ransley.  We will be racing at the GB Final Trials on the weekend of the 16th/17th April.  Training has been going reasonably well, we seem to go alot better when the chains are off and we just get racing.  Technically I have been working on a couple of things; the general length of my stroke coupled with a strong dynamic second half to my drive phase.

The wind in Varese can kick up pretty large rolling waves - big enough to give a couple of our single scullers an early bath!  Due to the weather, the session we did this morning had to be delayed, but we were able to crack on with it after waiting it out 60 mins.

My back has needed a little attention from the physios, as has been feeling aggravated and slightly vunerable.  Thankfully that seems to have significantly settled and is starting to feel stronger.

It was the Grand National yesterday and I was part of two sweepstakes; one at home and one here with the guys on the team.  I didn't do well in either - my horse in the squad sweepstake actually broke it's neck at the 4th hurdle (Ornais) - hopefully this isn't an omen.

Feel free to ask any questions, and for more regular readers you can sign up on the left hand side for an email each time I submit a new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment