Sunday 27 March 2011

Weekend and the boat race


Oxford wins the boat race with ease, shock result really but wasn't an impossibility.  I thought that Cambridge would win but I was obviously way off the mark.  You can watch the race and build up here (probably UK users only - BBC).  When Isis (Oxford reserves) beat the Goldie crew (Cambridge reserves) by a decent margin, I started to doubt my first opinions.  My main impression of the racing was how relaxed everyone looked in both boats - I know when people are good at what they do I looks easy, but I thought the race didn't have the aggression I expected (particularly when the crews were approaching Hammersmith Bridge).  Don't get me wrong, you don't train for years to then not try hard, I was just surprised how collected it all looked.  I've rowed with Karl and Stan in the Oxford boat, and known Si Hislop (the stroke man) for a few years; I'm pleased for them all, but think Si deserves a special mention as he's a classy rower, cancer survivor and genuinely nice guy - you will never hear anyone have a bad word to say about him.  With Cambridge I feel for George Nash, a good friend and I know he will be bitterly disappointed.

Asside from watching the race, I've had a reasonably busy weekend and it's taking its toll.  I rowed all afternoon and evening on Friday, followed by coaching Saturday morning, then training before and after lunch.  This morning I was coaching again and then had a meeting with my crew at UL.  I'm not sure how long I slept for this afternoon and I'm about ready to sleep again.

This week is about preparing for the race on Saturday. Luckily the guys in my crew don't have too much Uni, so it means we can train at relatively sane hours rather than early and late.  I will keep you updated on how the week goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment