Monday 7 March 2011

Step test


Today I had a step test on the ergo.  A step test can be used to measure a number of things, but it's primary function is to measure aerobic capacity (the secondary function is to sting).  In the photo above you can see one of the other guys on the team doing his test.

The test consists of six steps, four minutes each step with thirty seconds break to take a blood sample.  We are given a set wattage to row at for each step and multiple measurements are taken.  The first couple of steps aren't too bad, but they start to bite after a while.  For the final step we are let loose and we try to go as hard as we can for the full four minutes.  While doing the test we wear a heart rate monitor (e.g. polar) and a mouthpiece.  The mouthpiece, and it's associated wires and tubes, are held in place by a headpiece and suspended wire from the ceiling.  Oh yeah, you also wear a nose clip so the only air coming in or out is through the tube in your mouth.

For each step there are loads of measurements taken;  from the ergo, our lung function, heart rate and blood lactate.  These bits of data will tell us things that can help shape training, measure progressions and help us (myself and the coaches) understand how my body functions.

I don't have any results at the moment but I think it generally went OK.  There were a couple of mishaps.  Firstly it took a bit of time to get used to having the mouthpiece in and it caused me to dribble excessively, definitely a hot look.  Secondly was that the nose piece started to slip on my last step.  I tried to push it back on but it popped off.  So the physiologists tried to but it back on, while i'm going flat out and rating high; the first attempt was a miss - suprising considering I'm nasally endowered - the second attempt resulted in two fingers in my eyes...nice.

My general training is going fine; I'm currently in various pairs in preparation for the seat racing later in the week.  Tomorrow I've got three sessions plus massage and physio.

No comments:

Post a Comment