Sunday 6 February 2011

I've got wind


The lake has defrosted and I'm back on the water.  My back is feeling in reasonable shape and I'm preparing for trials on the 12th/13th Feb (next weekend).  I was due to be pairing with Tom James, sadly this hasn't worked out due to injury.  Tom's an Olympic gold medalist but his highest achievement has to be "Wale's Most Eligible Bachelor 2008", a true honour.  In 2009 he made the top ten again - Rachel Mainwaring adding "Won the Olympic gold medal in the coxless fours, Cambridge-graduate Tom is brainy and gorgeous, the perfect package".  Instead I will be racing with T-Ran, or Tom Ransley as he is known to his mum.  Pictured above, T-Ran is powerful, rugged and a World silver medalist.  We are a late combination, with other guys training in their pairs for a bit longer but will make good use of this week to gel together - if the wind dies down that is.  They say that a leaf falling here causes a storm on the other side of the world, this week must be the exception to the rule.  Queensland has been blown to bits and, albeit on a smaller scale, the UK has been too.  Rowers like smooth flat water, the sort of water you can see your reflection in; North Sea style waves are never a good thing.

My muscles are aching from working in ways they havn't done so in a while, but my back seems to be holding out ok.  I just need to make sure I keep it loose and well conditioned.

Other news this week included MTV's annoucement to commision "Geordie Shore" - can't wait.  Super Bowl tonight, will be on too late for me to watch but will have it recorded to watch tomorrow evening.  Six Nations started this weekend; I love to watch the Six Nations, Ireland is my rugby team, so I'm hoping they raise the standard of play after a dodgy start to the competition.  I'm off to my friend Kara's for dinner, should be good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment