Wednesday 23 February 2011

5km and camp


I'm most of the way through camp and certainly feeling fatigued.  Trials was a long, tough day and the mileage and intensity has been high on camp.  I'm in Aviz, Portugal (for location, see the google maps to the left) - until today the weather is mainly damp, some heavy rain, a little wind and not so much sun; all that changed this afternoon and the gingers on the team have got "a proper rouge on".

Last thursday I had a 5km test on the ergo.  Most other guys in the squad did it a couple of weeks ago, but I and a few others were unwell and so it was rescheduled for this time.  I was pretty nervous before the ergo as I didn't particularly feel prepared and the ergo is not my strongest subject.  I did 5km in 16:08, two seconds off my PB and 9 seconds off where I was aiming for.  It wasn't good enough and just wasn't as strong as I had hoped.  I really hoped to continue with the forward momentum I had been having, but things that you really want are the things that are not easy.

Since then there have been plenty of big days.  The longest ones being 52km on the water including a tough last 10km piece.  Today we had a 30min ergo test at rate 20.  Even though we have been working hard, there were alot of PB's and the team is definitely moving from strength to strength.  I was one of those PB's and did 1:42.1 which is 8810m in 30mins.  Those sorts of ergo's are where I lag behind most of the guys on the team, but I keep chipping away at it and will get there at some point.  I was pleased that today was a PB after the dissappointment of last week [5km].  When all you do is train each day, your mood is dictated so much by how training is going.  If you're doing well and feeling strong it's great, if not it can be real misery.

Today has been a half day, I've mainly slept and tried to catch up on some paperwork and emails I've been needing to do.  We have three more days of training before we fly home.

Feel free to drop comments or questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment